Welcome to the Dystopia 2 community. Support us on Patreon

Patreon Levels Clarification

If you need help, look here for help
Kellonie
Mercenary

Patreon Levels Clarification

Postby Kellonie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:09 am

I'd like clarification which bonuses for the levels of Patreon support are permanent and which only last as long as that level of support is maintained: (Please tell me which I'm wrong on!)

1$ temporary(?) in-game credit and permanent(?) slack-chat-access
5$ temporary(?) badge and temporary(?) beta-access
10$ temporary(?) upgraded badge iff you were a dys1 supporter
15$ permanent upgraded badge (or normal if you weren't a dys1 supporter)
also at 15$ temporary(?) private/live-meeting access
50$ permanent soundtrack (since if you have it once you have it forever... I assume WWM doesn't do DRM/CRAP on principle.)
500$ temporary website post-privileges once a week for 4 weeks, pending oversight. (I assume whoever did this for one month could do it again and have another 4 posts... )

Thank you for explaining these!
Dilettante level designer/editor.
"Insert shallow quote here, but pretend it's deep." -Someone Famous
termi
Dys 2 Dev
Dys 2 Dev

Re: Patreon Levels Clarification

Postby termi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:07 pm

1 DOLLAR
ingame credit!
chat access*
5 dollar
supporter badge*
beta access**
supporter badge*
ingame OG badge_***
private meeting invites*
soundtrack!
500^

! = permanent
* = temp with remaining in tier
** = when the next beta releases you wont get a dl link
*** = permanently upgraded, og players could go back to the $5er tier
^ = this is a per-month tier like the rest, you're right if someone wanted to throw 500 bucks at us a month, they could essentially get 4 posts a month every month, as its a weird teir, we would heavily scrutinize these posts to make sure theres nothing dickish.

To be honest im not 100% happy with the system at the moment and think maybe a permatier for badges is needed, but this could be done outside of patreon as a way of 'buying' directly rather than a reward tier.

what are your thoughts ?
Kellonie
Mercenary

Postby Kellonie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:32 am

Short:
I would prefer to hand you guys 50$ one-time, to get only permanent beta, badge, and soundtrack. (The community does a decent job getting important news out ad-hoc. So I undervalue meetings).

Longer:
I don't see how you guys could make something so bad that I wouldn't want to donate 50$, but exempting that low chance, I'd happily donate 50$ for just the badge and permanent beta. After hearing the soundtrack during beta-testing, and assuming I even remotely liked it, I would most likely donate another 50$ just for the soundtrack (mostly as a "thanks for the progress," thing.)

I think I can understand the attraction of subscriptions for you guys, since you get a more reliable budget which makes planning ahead easier. But from a player's point of view it doesn't really make sense to pay continuously for a thing which either is playable or not. Once there's a beta release it makes more sense to do subscription. But for people like me, I'd rather make one or two large payments rather than a tiny amount per month then a slightly bigger amount per month that beta's out.

I'd be eager to hear about any straight donation path you guys set up.

Your post seems to say that only the old-school-supporter badges become permanent at 10$. Is this an intentional distinction saying that non-dys1-supporters can never gain a permanent badge under the patron system?
termi
Dys 2 Dev
Dys 2 Dev

Postby termi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:39 am

Thanks for your considered reply Kellonie, if anyone else has thoughts the whole team would love to hear them.

Re:
Short: im not sure how well patreon handles once-off stuff as its more of a subscription service type thing, that said we _could_ offer direct once-offs through paypal or something, I get what you mean regarding undervalued meetings, on top of this the fact is we dont do them that often and more organically just chip away at the work.

Longer:
You may be a special case as far as being happy to part with $50 bucks sight unseen on v1 of dys 2, the main reason i havent pushed for it personally is because I dont want unhappy people that have dropped a full-game amount on a game they're not happy with, but we could consider it, i can see us almost definitely doing it when we're closer to a release candidate and there is more of a game to see to consider its worth in the first place.

The attraction to subscription is exactly as you mentioned, it allows us to plan and work out if we ramp up, maintain or decrease the amount of time we have for the project, its purely pragmatic as we all have real lives, jobs and families to look after. we'd rather work on this for a long time sustainably compared to promising huge things and being unable to deliver.

Perhaps we should look at a tiered badge system, something like

1 dollar a months = base badge
20 bucks once off = supporter badge
20 bucks once + 1 a months = active supporter badge

From there we could add 'buffing' of your badge with additional once offs or something, with any once-offs being permanent 'base' levels, which normally would sound like nickle and diming players if not for the fact that the game is free, its entirely optional whether or not people give us anything.

At the moment you're right, only old schoolers can get perma-badges, we should change this at some point but we havent worked it out.

I would say we'll do an overhaul of the system closer to a release candidate
Kellonie
Mercenary

Postby Kellonie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:21 am

Well, you certainly know what I wanted to hear! Thanks for explaining. :)

I'm not a fan of sinking money into an unseen product, ofc. But, this is a weird case because the Dys1 supporter program ended before I understood/wanted to donate. That was so many years ago I think Dys1 has clearly been worth 50$ since then. So in my head it's not so much a payment for an unknown game as much as a back-payment for an old great game.

I think a lot of Dys1 people bought Blade Symphony in lieu of donating to Dys1 (since the supporter program had ended). I did. This is similar since, in my head, the devs are about the same as before, so the money still gets to the mostly-right place.

Re badges:
I'd add that more than 3 or 4 badges will start to get over-the-top and they will all start to loose meaning, just from the confusion of what the different categories are. Maybe just have Dev, Beta-tester, Supporter, Old-School-Supporter badges similar to dys1?
If it wouldn't be insensitive, you could list donors by total donation value in the credits, like Fine-Arts programs do. Bronze (>$) Silver ($-$$) Gold ($$-$$$) Platinum ($$$ to $$$$) etc. That way it's not a straight-up number, but you also preserve a vague sense of the total contribution of players.

Return to “Tech support”